Welcome to Day 8 in my musical countdown to Christmas. Today we take a look at We Three Kings by John H. Hopkins, Jr.
Who was John H. Hopkins Jr.?
- Born October 28, 1820 in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
- His father was Bishop of Vermont
- Graduated from the University of Vermont
- Worked as a reporter, intending to go on to law school
- Attended General Theological Seminary instead
- Taught music at General Theological Seminary
- Was a writer and poet, book illustrator, and stained glass window designer
- Also worked as editor, deacon, priest, and rector
The Story behind We Three Kings
- Originally titled The Quest of the Magi
- Written in 1857 for a Christmas pageant at General Theological Seminary
- Based on the biblical story of the Magi and their journey to worship the promised Messiah (Matthew 2:1,2)
- Stephen Douglas founded a Baptist Seminary in Chicago
- The United States Supreme Court ruled that Africans could not become citizens
- Mark Twain began a two year apprenticeship to become a riverboat pilot
- Joseph Gayetty invented commercial toilet paper
- James Buchanan became the 15th President of the United States of America
- The Ohio Life Insurance and Trust (New York Branch) failed, causing widespread financial panic
- Queen Victoria chose Ottawa as the capital of Canada
Looking for more details?
My Gift for today:
Leave a comment below for your opportunity to win a CD with two Focus on the Family radio interviews with Mr. Tim Sisarich.