It’s Christmas Eve! As you make last minute preparations, take time to still your heart and mind. Read the Christmas story from Luke 2 and listen to your favourite Christmas carols. Enjoy this second to last musical countdown to Christmas.
Who were Noel Regney and Gloria Shayne?
- Noel Regney was born August 19, 1922 in Strasbourg, France
- Studied classical music at Strasbourg, Salzburg, and Paris
- Drafted into the Nazi army even though he was French, but became a deserter
- Settled in Manhattan in 1952, working as a television music arranger, composer, and conductor
- He met Gloria Shayne in Manhattan while she was playing the piano in the dining room of a hotel
- They married a month after they met
- They composed many songs together. Usually Gloria wrote the lyrics and Noel wrote the music.
The Story behind Do You Hear What I Hear?
- Written in October 1962
- A plea for peace during the Cuban Missile Crisis
- Regney wrote the lyrics and Shayne wrote the music
- The lyrics were written after Regney watched babies being pushed in strollers in New York City
- Sold more than a quarter-million copies in the first week it was released
- Bing Crosby recorded the song in 1963
- The song has been recorded many times since
Here’s a version with some sand art
- Written during the Cuban Missile Crisis (threat of nuclear war)
- First recorded on November 22, 1963 – the day United States President John F. Kennedy was assassinated
- American Express introduced credit cards in the United Kingdom
- Pope John XXIII died
- Martin Luther King delivered his famous speech, “I Have a Dream”
- The Beatles released their first album
Looking for more details?
My Gift for today:
Leave a comment below for your opportunity to win a paperback copy of the San Francisco Wedding Planner Series II.