Is God Enough?
There are times in our lives when all of us ask, “Is God enough?” We live in a fallen, sinful world where bad things happen to good people. I’ve had a few experiences in my life which have shaken me and forced me to think about what I believe and why.
- Gifts from a loving God, the first piece I had published, details my journey through infertility and adoption. My husband and I were told we would probably never have children of our own. Several months later, I found out that I was pregnant. I was ecstatic! However, after a few short weeks I miscarried. I still grieve the loss of that baby. Is God enough? Yes!
- We adopted several children, including twin boys who are now 13. We knew before we adopted the twins that they had special needs. They were born at 27 weeks gestation and were not expected to live because of their high needs. We found out several years later that they were born early because of abuse. More opportunity to grieve. Is God enough? Yes!
- My dad was diagnosed with dementia about 5 years ago. It’s painful to watch his decline, to see him become a shell of the amazing person he once was. Is God enough? Yes!
I appreciate what Renee Swope challenges us to do in chapter 11 of A Confident Heart:
“Let’s make a promise that every time doubt casts its shadow over us, we will run back to Jesus, turn toward the light, and stand in the shadow of the cross where everything changes. In the shadow of the cross:
- When you feel inadequate, God says: You are CHOSEN (Isaiah 43:10)
- When you feel afraid, God says: You are REDEEMED (Isaiah 43:1)
- When you feel unloved, God says: You are LOVED (Isaiah 43:4)
- When you feel forgotten, God says: You are REMEMBERED (Isaiah 49:16)
- When you feel insecure, God says: You are SECURE (Deut. 33:12)
- When you feel unable or unstable, God says You are ABLE (Hab. 3:19)
- When you feel worthless, God says: You are CALLED (1 Pet. 2:9)“
Here are a few truths I would add:
- When you are grieving, God says: I UNDERSTAND (John 11:1-35)
- When you don’t know how to pray, God says: I’ll INTERCEDE for you (Romans 8:26)
- When you are staring death in the face, God says: I am preparing a HOME for you. (John 14:1-3)
As the Apostle Paul says, “If in this life only we have hope in Christ, we are of all men most miserable.” (I Cor. 15:19) Fortunately this life is not all we have to look forward to – – we also have the hope of eternity in Heaven because of Christ’s death and resurrection. Paul ends his teaching on the resurrection of Jesus Christ by challenging us:
“With all this going for us, my dear, dear friends, stand your ground. And don’t hold back. Throw yourselves into the work of the Master, confident that nothing you do for him is a waste of time or effort.” (I Cor. 15:58 The Message)
When life throws it’s worst at us, we can:
- Stand our ground – meditating on God’s truths
- Refuse to give in – choosing to live by fact, not feelings
- Continue on in the work God gives us – stepping out in faith and allowing Him to work in and through us.
Is God enough? YES!